Birth, Marriage & Death Records
The City Clerk certifies copies of these records upon request and payment of a fee:
- Payment may be made in cash, money order or certified bank check
- Personal account checks are not accepted
- Certified copies cost $20.00 each when transacted in person or through the mail
- Make money order or certified bank check payable to "City of Springfield"
To obtain a certified copy of a:
- Birth certificate for any birth that occurred within the city limits of Springfield, MA.
- Marriage certificate for any marriage that took place within the city limits of Springfield, MA prior to February, 1980 or for any marriage that took place on an Intention of Marriage filed at Springfield City Hall since February, 1980.
- Death certificate for any person whose death occurred within the city limits of Springfield, MA and for any Springfield resident who passed away in any other Massachusetts community.
Visit the City Clerk's Office during office hours
You may order a certified copy of a birth, death or marriage record online using your credit card through www.vitalchek.com.
An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard®, or Visa® .
Order Records Online
You may order a certified copy of a birth, death or marriage record online using your credit card through VitalChek Network Inc.
The City or Springfield does not accept credit cards or online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network Inc. VitalChek can be reached through its website www.vitalchek.com. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard®, or Visa® .
Other internet vendors are not authorized by the City or Springfield and may charge additional fees without providing state-approved services. Neither the City or Springfield nor VitalChek have control over the services and fees other Internet vendors offer and charge, nor can we guarantee the confidentiality of any vital record data provided to vendors other than VitalChek.
City and Town Records
The City Clerk maintains the records of birth, marriage and death. Town records are available for the years 1638 through 1850. City records commence with events beginning in 1850 and continue to the present date.
Genealogical research can be done in person during regular business hours Monday thru Friday from 9 am to 3:30 pm. There in no fee for research done in our office and we have birth, marriage and death records dating from the period beginning 1850 to present. If the research is done by our office its $20 per hour or any portion of an hour beyond one hour. If you have the exact name(s) and date there is no cost.